North Texas Municipal Mentorship Program
UMANT, along with the Legacy Council and the North Texas City Managers Association, is excited to present the North Texas Municipal Mentorship Program. This program will allow for young professionals to be paired with experienced City Administrators in the region.
To apply, please print and fill out the application. You may submit by mail or scan and email to Andrew Fortune, Mentorship Committee. Click here for the application and all other information!
We are no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2015 installment of the program. The next installment will be set to begin in Spring 2016. More details will be coming soon!
January Protégé Spotlight
Protégé: Caitlan Smelley, Assistant to the City Manager, Addison, TX
Mentor: Paulette Hartman, Assistant City Manager, North Richland Hills, TX
1) How has your experience in the Mentorship Program been thus far? My experience in the mentorship program has been extremely valuable. The past 6 months have been branded with a lot of transition and change, and Paulette was willing and eager to guide me through it.
2) What have you learned from your mentor? I’ve learned that there are different ways to gain the types of experience that I need and to be open to all possibilities. It’s great to have a plan, but you have to be flexible with it.
3) Has the Mentorship Program enabled you to network and meet local government professionals and leaders? Please explain a particular instance if possible? Yes, at TCMA and NTCMA, Paulette introduced me to other professionals in the field.
4) Has the Mentorship Program aided you in professional development and advancement? Yes, during this period of change, Paulette helped me to identify areas that I could focus on to build my skill it and assist my organization.
5) In your own words what is the most beneficial part of being in the Mentorship Program? What I think has been the most beneficial for me is that Paulette and I are both generalists, so she has really been able to help me evaluate where I currently am in my career and what steps I should take to set up my future for success.